Friday, October 15, 2010

Expanding Horizons: Tackling A New Genre

As a new writer, I have learned that one way to get better is to write as much as possible. One way I have broadened my horizons, is participating in the monthly challenges put forth by the On Fiction Writing group over at Goodreads. While I haven't been happy enough with most of them to post for the group, I still get the experience of writing in different genres, in different POVs, showcasing different methods.

I was talking to my mother about how much I enjoyed a couple of the different genres that I hadn't anticipated liking and she inquired as to whether or not I had chosen a genre on which to focus my writing. I guess I was surprised by her question, as I hadn't really thought of "choosing" a genre.

I have ideas that come from all over the place. My moods, which vary widely from day-to-day, inspire different tones and themes. The first pieces that I was confident enough to submit to OFW for critique were extremely dark. Dark enough that I did not allow some of my close family members to read them for fear that they would have me committed. Those of you who have visited True Tales of a Slightly Crazed Mama, have seen the lighter, more humorous side of my writing.

So, my response to my mother was that I have not picked a genre to adopt as my focus and I really don't intend on doing so. I may in the future, if I find I excel in one particular area, but I like to think that I'll always dabble in new and different areas to make myself a better writer. I may keep that work to myself, but I'll still do it.

3 comments:

  1. Wanna hear a little secret? I don't have a genre either. I have a few manuscripts completed and they are as follow: Paranormal, mainstream, romantic thriller, suspense, a little black humor story whose genre I can't seem to decide on and horror. So, pick a genre? Why? Write the story as it comes to you and worry about genre later.

    And shame on you for not posting. We're our worst critics. They were probably very good and very post-worthy.

    And if it weren't for my brilliant challenge idea, I'd probably be writing my safe, familiar stuff and not venturing outside my comfort zone as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know. I should be posting them, but they just weren't quite there. But I promise to post my outline for November. I am really excited about this one and it is actually painful for me to wait until November to write this for NaNoWriMo, so I have ended up with a very detailed outline. I am hoping to finish it this weekend. To early to post it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the genre chooses you, Laura

    ReplyDelete