Friday, October 1, 2010

Gearing Up For NaNoWriMo

Some part of my delusional little brain seems to think that I don't have enough to do. Between three children, a part-time (usually full-time) job, a home that I stuggle to keep tidy, reading and writing, I barely have time to sleep.

That did not stop me from signing up for French lessons on LiveMocha and deciding to take on NaNoWriMo this November. NaNoWriMo is a writing challenge with a goal to write a 50,000-word project in a one-month period. It isn't about quality, it's about quantity - a practice in motiviation, stamina and determination.

This writing project has to be a fresh start, so I can't just pick up one of the many projects that I already have in progress. I have started kicking around some ideas, but I think I may just boot up my computer on November 1st and see which idea gets to the keyboard first.

I am desperately trying not to go into this challenge with the expectation that I could never in a million years finish with all of my other responsibilities, but keeping that thought out of my head has been difficult. A lot of fellow writers in the On Fiction Writing group of Goodreads are participating and I am sure we will push and encourage each other as we strive to get those words on paper. There are more than a few members of the group who have participated and finished in previous years.

I hope to join their ranks come November 30th. I may have to give up sleeping, eating and cleaning, but I want to see that word count pass 50,000. If I do, I get a nifty certificate and I may even treat myself to a NaNoWriMo Winner t-shirt!

3 comments:

  1. I've never done this, Laura but I imagine one great positive spin-off - ie it's a bit like running a tap, eventually the water comes out cool and clear, and then there's no stopping it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Laura! I'll be cheering for you. NaNoWriMo is insane--but somehow very appealing. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete