Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Critic & An Ego-Stroker

I am a writer who likes to share my work with a select circle of people. Some of my initial readers are helping me to edit, some to polish and some to just float a test balloon of the likability of my project.

The group with which I share my unfinished work is small, but if I had to choose two people and only two people, I would have a critic and an ego-stroker. You need two separate people for this job, unless they have a Three Faces of Eve thing going on.

My critic tells me what is good, what can be better, what I should just throw out and start again. This person is absolutely necessary in many, many ways. I don't think there are many writers out there who can write so perfectly that the first draft is the final draft. I don't know if those writers even exist. Writing requires tweaking, fine tuning and finessing. Knowing when to take the advice of your critic is an art in itself, but having a critic or two can make all the difference to your writing.

My ego-stroker tells me that they really like everything and that I am a great writer. This person may be flat out lying to me, but I don't really care because they are serving a very specific purpose.

This would be a good time to point out that I have a very vain streak and I have many a moment that I seek validation for the things that I do. A deficiency? Probably, but I have to work with what I have and what I have is a need to be told that I am decent at what I am doing and not just wasting my time.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I think I'd pick those two as well. Maybe the 'shredder' and the ego stroker. That way when the shredder is finish hacking my poor sensitive soul into bits, the ego stroker can stick everything back together.

    It's not vain, as long as you know that an entirely positive, raving, you're so awesome I can't even believe I know you critique is probably not a reliable one. ;)

    I like what I've seen of your writing so far, so I think you've probably figured all of this out.

    ReplyDelete