Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Things To Come

I have been writing on and off (mostly off) for many years. I wrote my first poem, a lovely verse called "Dreams" when I was 10 or 11. For a long time, my version of writing was a series of strange turns that my brain took when an interesting topic peaked my interest, but they always remained private thoughts. It has only been in the last few years that writing has meant putting pen to paper or fingers to keys.

I am finding teachers in many places. My main source of education is reading as much as possible with three small kids running around. I do surprise myself at how many books I have been able to get through and I often kick myself when I think of all of the books I could have read before becoming a mother. All that downtime gone to waste! It sounds strange, but something about motherhood kicked my imagination into high gear. Just as hormones changed my tastes for certain foods, so was my drive to do something with the ideas kicking around in my head.

Other readers have taught me what I like and don't like and what I should and shouldn't do. Other writers have become my teachers as well. As a member of the On Fiction Writing group on Goodreads, I have been able to have others critique my work and review the work as others. I have seen rough drafts take on the rosy sheen of a well-edited story. Voicing my opinion and listening to the opinions of others has been invaluable to me and my writing.

Stay tuned as I bring you along on the many tangents of my imagination. I will write about writing, my pursuit of education from readers and other writers and the many random occurances that make up my life. All topics are fair game!

No comments:

Post a Comment