Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Outlining

As I am new to the writing game, I am still trying to find which techniques work for me. I am sampling different approaches to structure, character development, etc.

One thing that I haven't yet been able to accomplish is a complete outline before starting the actual writing of a new project.

I know that a complete outline isn't necessary. But, since my biggest problem is knowing where I am going with my story, I think this is a discipline that I need to adopt. Quickly.

Today I sat down and started an outline for a new project. It is an idea that has been bouncing around my head for a few days, so I needed to write it down before it became a victim of my terrible memory. I have done the structuring for the first couple of chapters and I have committed to finishing the outline before I start into the writing.

While the entire story will probably change as I write, I think that at least having a possible place for my characters to go will help my ability to get them there. I have always been pretty good at rolling with the punches, so I can always change their destination as I go. I just want them to get somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment